Skip to Content

Faculty Information

Thank you for your interest in the Extension Studies program available through the Office of Distance and Extended Learning!

Extension courses are self-funded courses that are offered through the Office of Distance and Extended Learning instead of through the academic department from which the courses originate. They can be a way for faculty who are already teaching courses through the department to teach one or two additional courses, out of load, or for departments to offer special course offerings outside the academic unit. Extension courses are offered to meet a specific departmental or university need and to assist academic departments and schools in meeting student demand.

Departmental and University Approvals for Extension Courses

Extension courses are always offered with the approval of the chair of the academic unit. Once a faculty member applies to teach an extension course, we seek the approval of the Academic Chair, the Director of the Office of Distance and Extended Learning, and Faculty and Academic Resources. The course is then listed in the Schedule of Classes.

Criteria for Offering Extension Courses and Programs

Please review our Criteria for Extension Courses and Programs webpage for important information.

Extension Teaching Approval Form

Fill out our Extension Teaching Approval Form to apply to instruct extension courses.

Teaching Face-to-Face, Online, or Hybrid Extension Courses

Please visit our Teaching Extension Courses webpage for additional Information.

Study-in-America or Off-Campus Programs

Please visit our Study in America programs page for additional information.

Rosters, Certifying Classes and Grades

View Quick Steps on these processes

Course Development Assistance

If you need assistance developing your online or hybrid course, Learning Experience Design offers consultation with faculty to solve instructional problems by applying current research on learning and innovative teaching practices that support student-centered learning. Visit the Learning Experience Design section of the ODEL website for further information.

HB 2504

Beginning in Fall 2017, all courses offered through Extension Studies must be reported to the HB 2504 site. 

Please visit the HB 2504 site for more information. 

Information and Assistance

For additional information and/or assistance, please contact the Office of Distance and Extended Learning at 512-245-2322 or 800-511-8656.